The Canadian Horticultural Council (CHC) and the Canadian Produce Marketing Association (CPMA) would like to again thank our industry participants and sponsors for contributing to the success of our Fall Harvest 2017 meetings on the Hill. In early November, industry leaders met with over 50 parliamentarians and political staffers in Ottawa to discuss the new Food Policy, international trade, labour, and financial protection for produce sellers.
Continuing advocacy efforts
To maximize the success of Fall Harvest 2017, CHC and CPMA have followed up on a number of action items stemming from our Fall Harvest meetings, including:
- providing written submissions on Budget 2018 consultations, potential free trade agreements and the Food Policy;
- sharing research reports;
- providing additional documentation and reports on key topics;
- preparing draft statements for parliamentarians; and
- sharing additional information about CPMA and CHC, with the goal of becoming a key source of information for parliamentarians and political staffers.
How you can help
Here are some ways you can continue the conversation with parliamentarians:
- Schedule a meeting with your Member of Parliament and introduce or re-introduce them to your organization. Not sure who your MP is? Look them up via postal code.
- Write your Member of Parliament and provincial senators about one of our Fall Harvest topics or specific issues facing your organization. Please remember that CHC and CPMA are here to assist you in this initiative by providing template letters or assistance with messaging.
- Encourage your Member of Parliament or provincial senator to publicly endorse CHC and CPMA’s joint policy positions on the topics previously mentioned.
With many policy and regulatory changes planned for 2018 (including the new Food Policy for Canada and the Safe Food for Canadians regulations), it has never been more important for government to hear your voice. Please do not hesitate to reach out to Troy Sherman (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jennifer Babcock (email@example.com) for assistance.
Thank you to our sponsors
Fall Harvest would not have been possible without the generous support of our sponsors and contributors: