Energy, Environment & Climate Change
Why is this important?
Canada falls well below the needs of our producers
Regrettably, financial support for climate-smart agriculture in Canada falls well below the needs of our producers and lags behind that of our main trading partners. A recent report by RBC highlighted this discrepancy, indicating that the United States and the European Union allocate 1.7% and 1.8% of their respective farm gate receipts to climate funding. In contrast, Canada’s climate funding stands at a mere 0.5%, significantly underserving the industry’s requirements.
What We Need
- Climate-Smart Technologies and Infrastructure:
- Access to climate-smart technologies is crucial for Canadian growers.
- Investment is needed in precision farming, efficient irrigation systems, and renewable-powered storage facilities for a sustainable agriculture sector.
- Research and Development (R&D):
- Government support must increase in R&D, targeting resilient farming practices and sustainable crops.
- FVGC advocates for the federal government to cover 70% of project costs for all AgriScience Program research activities to maintain industry competitiveness.
- Policy and Financial Framework:
- Adequate policy support is required for driving investment in Plant Breeding Innovation and novel crop protection products.
- Policies and targets should be science-based to achieve sustainable and effective agricultural practices.
For more information
please contact Angela Reid by submitting this form.