Last week, an unexpected amendment was made to Bill C-234 in the Senate. This is a bill that FVGC has been strongly supporting because it was set to extend the current 80% exemption provided under the Greenhouse Gas Pollution Pricing Act (GGPPA) to a full 100% exemption for heating and cooling in agricultural buildings and greenhouses. However, this recent amendment removes this critical provision, leading to severe financial implications for growers, and consumers alike, and hindering our collective goals for sustainable farming and climate action. Read our press release here for more information.
FVCG is advocating to reverse this change, before it is too late. We are working with the Agriculture Carbon Alliance and other partners in the agricultural sector to remind Senators that Canadian growers need the exemption from carbon pricing in order to continue growing fruits and vegetables for Canadians.
What You Can Do
Coordinated Media Engagement
- Your Role: Supply FVGC with facts, figures, and stories that ACA can use in op-eds, interviews, and social media. Send your content to Angela Reid at .
Grassroots Member Mobilization
- Your Role: Use social media, newsletters, and community meetings to inform and mobilize at the grassroots level. Share with FVGC so we can amplify your message. We have some sample messages for you to use here. You can find our social media accounts on X (formerly known as Twitter), LinkedIn and Facebook.
Immediate Outreach to Senator Simons, Woo and Senator Dalphond
- Your Role: Send letters, emails, and phone calls to Senators Simons’, Woo’s and Dalphond’s offices to express disappointment and seek clarification.
- Your Role: Our objective is to rally such extensive support from Canadians that the Senate will have compelling reasons to reject these amendments. FVGC has a template letter available to assist you.
- The Agriculture Carbon Alliance has also organized a Click and Submit Campaign on their website. There are options for growers and also those who work in/support agriculture to submit letters to Senators. Click here to send an email.
Let’s act now; our growers’ future and the sustainability of the Canadian fresh fruit and vegetable industry depend on it.
Association Letter to Senators Template Senator Email Addresses Social Media Campaign Click and Submit Campaign